Thursday, February 22, 2018

Grooming for Grandma







It occurred to me today as I was getting ready for my mother's shower hour, (you might recall my description of the horrors of giving my mother a shower these days), that it would be really, really nice to take Mom somewhere for a lovely bath and hygienic pampering.  For me, it is a terrible process that I dread.  This is largely because it is unsafe, and I worry about Mom slipping in the shower even though I use all safety precautions.  Mom is less cooperative and also more intolerant of water temperature, the spray nozzle, and even the toweling off process.  She complains and flails about causing me undue stress as I watch her almost fall, almost hurt herself, almost slip, or upend the shower chair.  I end up sopping wet, with pulled muscles and unable to function for a couple of hours after the ordeal.  Sponge bathing doesn't seem to work that well (perhaps because I don't have a hospital bed, and/or all of the accessories to make the job easier.)

I don't even want to discuss toe-nail clipping!  I begin to shudder at the thought of it.  Some people have stronger dispositions than others.  My parents raised a wuss.  I am beside myself thinking about the grooming I must take over doing for Mom.  So that brings me to my idea.  I have decided that there should be a new business: Granny Grooming.  The name of the service could be anything from a genteel euphemism like 'Senior Spa' to 'Spray 'n Go'  for those more inclined to a more descriptive name.  Regardless of the name , a drive-up senior wash sort of like an automated car wash or a do-it-yourself dog wash that has sprayers, nozzles, super driers, and even a sweet smelling finishing spritz would be most appreciated.  I can see it now; I would drive up with Mom in the car, swipe my debit card, open the car door and deposit Mom on an automated chair that rolls through a warmed spa filled with soapy water.  Then, after an appropriate soak, a light spray, and soapy shampoo, the chair might move on to a rinse room  and then a drying room.  Finally, there could be add-ons of nail clipping, buffing, or moisturizing. 

I like it! Who's in?  Early response will insure the best locations.  Franchises still available.
 

2 comments:

  1. "Granny Grooming": you're on to something, Jessica! Hummm, not everyone will hop right over to that automated chair though, so starting with a Prozac cocktail might help Granny. -Might help the driver as well.

    ReplyDelete