Sunday, October 1, 2017

Dom P, Ancestry, and Me



























They were gathered in the kitchen, each with a special task.  I was told to sit outside on our porch and await my birthday surprise.  Yes, this was my birthday weekend.  I was so happy to have the family here even though I was stressed and tired.  Caring for my mother had worn me out. More than anything, I just wanted to sleep undisturbed and unfettered by my caregiving duties.  While I waited, entertained by my two delightful granddaughters, Mom wandered in and out, banging her walker against the door jam and table.  She was hungry.  Dinner was taking too long to prepare.  My son mixed a cocktail for me...the best Long Island Iced Tea ever!  Mom eyed my drink jealously.  "Oh no," I thought.  "You mustn't have this."  I sneaked inside avoiding the bustle of activity as plates and forks clanked on the counter, buzzers sounded, pots bubbled, and meats sizzled.  My daughter and son-in-law were busy elves preparing a feast of flavors in the kitchen.  I found some rum and Coke and mixed a drink for Mom, careful to go heavy on the Coke and light on the rum.  My son and his girlfriend were encouraging me to add more rum but I didn't think it wise to get someone with Alzheimer's tipsy. I laughed to myself devilishly thinking "What difference would it make?"
"This is delicious," she announced as she gripped the glass in both hands and downed the drink with a rare gusto.  Knowing how difficult it was to keep Mom hydrated, I mused that this was obviously the way to get her to drink more fluids.  Wait...she was drinking on an empty stomach!  The Responsible Me kicked in; "Have some chips," I suggested, hoping that they would absorb the alcohol.

When at last the meal was ready, my daughter appeared at the door smiling broadly.  She and the rest of the family had pulled it off.  They had brought a birthday to me since Skip and I couldn't do much in the way of celebrating my birthday elsewhere; not with my mother's condition.  I had said it.  I told them that we couldn't leave Mom alone now.  No...not now.  She was too confused, too easily agitated. Surprisingly, she proved me wrong.  She was in fine form.  She remembered who we were, little facts about the family, and even managed some quick repartee.  Was it the rum?  Maybe it was helping.

We dined on wonderful food as we crowded around the table in merriment and celebration.  Then came the birthday toast.  A bottle of Dom Perignon (provided by my son-in-law and daughter) was brought to the table.  Okay, I've got to admit that this was really special.  I waited with growing excitement as they popped the cork and handed it to Skip to pour. I watched the bubbles (the tiniest ones) floating to the top of the liquid and remembered that the finer the Champagne the tinier the bubbles.  "Savor this," I reminded myself. Skip lifted his glass to wish me a happy birthday in a clever and loving toast.  We all sipped from the fine Champagne.  I took a small taste feeling the sparkling liquid gold tickle my throat and tried to decide if it lived up to its reputation. Yes, I decided.  It definitely did!  It wasn't so much the flavor but the aftertaste.  There was a certain smoothness, an elegance of flavor, a quiet assertion that fine grapes and warm sun had joined together to make an intoxicating refreshment that was to be relished. 
Even Mom was given a small glass."This is strong!" she remarked.  "It's gone right down to my garters," she quipped and then beamed as we all laughed boisterously at her joke. It was a rare moment to cherish -- a 98 year old still able to engage in the merriment.

Cake, Champagne, flowers, and then presents filled the night.  My daughter announced that we would be attending the ballet. Our son and his girlfriend gave me a kit to check my ancestry with a quick saliva test -- something that was non-existent when I was born. (My how times have changed!)  I was thrilled with the prospect of finding out about my ancestry even though I was already certain that I was a confusion of myriad countries and races.  

The party had moved outside to the fire pit.  The granddaughters had been promised this traditional end to our cooler evenings but slowly they began to hang their heads sleepily. With Mom tucked in for the night, I returned to the dwindling numbers around the fire.  I was determined to party into the wee hours but I too became drowsy.  I struggled to make these fading moments last for just a little while longer. The light-hearted chatter almost masked the depth of emotion I felt.  I looked at their faces...each of them so special, so dear.  I listened to their voices; I watched the firelight  reflected in their eyes, and wanted to capture each smiling face in a memory.  This night, this celebration, this shared love; how special and yet how fleeting it felt to me.  I wanted to hug each of them to my heart and cling fiercely.  I suppose when one reaches a certain age sentimentality dominates all family gatherings.  Our numbers are not so large, and we are separated by miles but it is always the same.  We gather for occasions and enjoy.  We laugh, we talk, we share, we support one another.  This enduring bond of love is ever-so-important to me now more than ever.  I am so deeply embroiled in caregiving and finding that stress has become a way of life; and yet I know that my family will rally round and help when help is needed.  It is the best birthday gift of all! 

When the last dish was dried, the last glass placed back in the cabinet, the last surface freed of crumbs and spills, all without my assistance, I thanked everyone and went to bed.  I thought that I would go right to sleep but instead I reviewed the day, the comments, the moments.  Was it possible that my heart was actually glowing?  It certainly felt that way.  Then I remembered the Ancestry Kit.  What would it reveal?  I already knew that it would report in a clinical fashion and would satisfy the question of familial backgrounds but it would not tell me what my ancestors thought.  It would not show how they felt about each other, what emotions were when they gathered together, how they laughed and cried together.  The births, the illnesses, the inevitable passings of one generation after another; this would be understood but not explained; yet here I was, the embodiment of all of this history, all this love.  Now, on my birthday I reviewed this and smiled with a deep satisfaction. They slept -- the whole family...the eldest to the youngest, oblivious to my overwhelming gratitude and affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment