Saturday, August 6, 2016

Tomatoes and Pies and Cookies, OH MY!



Our son presented us with a bag of Roma tomatoes the other day.  I had just been thinking about making a tomato pie, so when I saw these beauties grown at a friend's farm I was quite pleased.  Unfortunately it was a busy week and I didn't get around to making the pie.  Every day, I would practically hear the tomatoes ripening and calling to me.   Finally I found two free minutes and thought that I would begin preparing the pie.  Oh wait...first I would go feed my friends' cats. (My friends were out of town for a few days.)
I ran over to their home, opened the door and was greeted by two hungry cats.  One of them decided to curl around my feet as I was walking  and caused me to trip.  I caught myself before toppling, but not without twisting my ankle on the same foot that was trying to heal from an old break and some painful tendinitis.  Once back at home I pulled out an ice pack and treated the swelling.  Oh!  But the tomatoes were now shouting at me.  I had to make the pie.  I limped my way into the kitchen and began putting together ingredients.  I was halfway into the recipe when I discovered that I was out of a key ingredient.  Being a resourceful cook I found a substitute without losing any time whatsoever.  Putting together the special crust I felt reasonably assured that it would still be tasty.  I put it in the oven to brown while I began slicing the tomatoes.  I was rushing and didn't take adequate precautions.  Before I knew it I had sliced more than the tomatoes.  Looking at my poor finger I realized that I needed a bandage.  I ran to the bathroom cabinet and began administering first aid.  By the time I returned to the kitchen I had burned my crust -- not all of it, but the edges were definitely toasted! With most of the tomatoes sliced I couldn't scrap the project.  I had to make a new crust.  Once again, I had to use a substitute for the key ingredient and once again I assembled the crust and put it in the oven for browning.  This time I watched it very carefully.  I looked over at the previous crust and took a little nibble of the part that wasn't burnt.    Mmmm...it was delicious!  I cut away the burned edges and regarded the remaining crust.  It was made with 1 1/2 sticks of butter and I hated to throw it out.  All night long I thought about what I could do with the good part of the crust.  When I awakened this morning I had a solution.  I would crumble the crust , add sugar and coconut oil and make a crumb crust.  Then I would make a French cream coconut pie.  I forms the crumb crust and baked it until it was firm.  Meanwhile I found my recipe for a French Pastry cream.  It called for four egg yolks.  What was I going to do with the egg whites?  I finished preparing the pie and then decided that I would make chocolate meringue cookies.  I was halfway finished beating the egg whites when I discovered that I didn't have enough chocolate.  Once again, I improvised adding different ingredients to substitute for the chocolate shortage. 
Currently I am staring at a sink full of dirty dishes, a stove covered in spills and splashes, an oven covered in fingerprints, a rack of cookies cooling, a mixing bowl, spatula and beater being licked clean by my mother, dish towels strewn on the counters and a kitchen that is about 100 degrees!  I am sitting under the fan in the family room, feet up, icing my ankle and thinking that I never want to look at a bag of Roma tomatoes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment