Tuesday, December 13, 2016

I Put Cream in My Coffee



I Put Cream in My Coffee




 
This morning upon awakening and moving slowly towards the kitchen I made a decision.  Instead of my usual 2% milk, I reached for the heavy whipping cream and poured some into the bottom of my coffee mug.  Then I poured my coffee and sat back to enjoy the luxurious richness of a delicious cup of java.  I felt decadent, spoiled and oh so satisfied as I imbibed with the satisfaction of a purring cat.  I treated myself to this rare moment because I felt like I needed to start my day anew with something wonderful...splendid...special.  Too often I have caught myself arising with a certain dread of what the day has in store for me.  Too often I wake up worrying and fretting over my responsibilities, my lists of things to accomplish, my jobs undone.  Too often I rush through my morning cup of coffee without thinking, without enjoying, without celebrating the new day.  Mindlessly I fuel my body with caffeine and begin my day without so much as a thought of gratitude, joy, or contentment.  How often have I pampered myself lately?  Not at all.  So, today I decided to do just that. 
As I sipped the warm liquid I thought of the day ahead with a newfound determination akin to goal setting.  There was a certain excitement as I considered what I wanted to finish today.  There was no hurry though.  I would remain in the moment.  I was focused on this one thing, the happiness of taking this time in the still morning before the sun was up and while the house was silent.  When I finished, I looked out the window and noticed that the sky had brightened as the sun began its ascent.  I grabbed my camera to capture the streaks of pink, orange and yellow of the sunrise.  I moved from window to window marveling at the beauty of nature -- the gift of the new day in its colorful glory.
This special time...this ME time lasted no more than twenty minutes and yet it provided me with a new attitude that I am certain will last until I go to sleep tonight.  It is good to remind myself to do this.  Life is what I choose to make it.  Today I choose to live it with a fullness, with all the richness of cream in my coffee!


No comments:

Post a Comment