Sunday, March 6, 2016

Dance Grandma

Dance competition season has begun and our 12 1/2 year old granddaughter went to her first day of dance competition yesterday. Wild horses couldn't keep me away. You've heard of Dance Moms? Well I am a card-carrying Dance Grandma. If I could I would go to all of her competitions. I do keep myself under control though. I do not 'trash' the other dancers. I do not brag; I do not point out flaws. However, I cannot say who else was dancing. I do not see anyone but our dear sweet Julie. For me, the sun rises and sets on her little dancing toes. I cannot explain the pride and love I feel as I watch her dance. It takes me back to the days of our own children performing. As a mother I always had butterflies in my tummy just before the children stepped onto the stage. My heart would beat rapidly and I would worry, watch, and pray as they performed whatever it was. When they were finished my joy was kept in check so as not to appear too proud, too doting, too caring. I would try to be objective, to help them with small corrections. I was the stern task master always wanting them to perform to their highest level. Now, as a grandmother, I can relax a little. I can enjoy with the wild abandon allowed a grandparent. I do not have to justify uncontrollable applause. I make no apologies for hooting and hollering. I see no flaws and sit back as a totally appreciative audience.

Anyway... there we were lined up in a row. Skip, me, my mother (Great Grandma to Julie and Lilly), Dorie, Gregg, (Julie's parents) and little sister Lilly. Four generations were seated and watching as Julie stepped out on the stage. My heart did not race because there was nothing to be nervous or worried about. There was pure enjoyment as she took her turns, twirls, steps, leaps and jumps. She was brilliant. She was beyond brilliant. When her performances were done I waited to see her as she changed and emerged from the dressing room. I was glowing, smiling from ear to ear. I rushed to her with a huge hug and then looked at her face. She was upset. She was devastated. What was wrong?! Why wasn't she smiling? A moment later she told me how she missed her turn because of a prop blocking her. I barely noticed. It was nothing; but not to her. For our granddaughter it was the worst blunder a person could make. She had let her dance team down. She had single-handedly ruined the dance. UGH! Was there no convincing her that no one noticed? Couldn't she read my sincerity as I told her she was wonderful, beautiful, perfect? I took a step back. There was no need to reassure her that we loved every single thing that she did. She KNEW that. It was her parents turn to deal with the drama. We loaded Mom in the car and began our 2 hour trek home. We had come to see what we wanted to see and regardless of the outcome, we were fulfilled. Later I texted our daughter to find out how Julie was doing. Dorie told me that Gregg had gotten the performance on video and showed it to Julie. Dorie sent me the video to watch as well. There! See? The purported 'HUGE' blunder was barely noticeable. What I saw was a young girl giving her dance everything she had and then some. What I saw was a sweet young thing who had talent, charm, ability, technique, stage presence, and love of dance. What I saw was what I had waited all my life to see. A grandchild performing to my utmost unfailing joy, pride, and awe!

Yes. I admit it. I am a Dance Grandma, and proud of it!



You see her, don't you?  She is the blurry one in the middle with moonbeams dancing on her head, with sunshine illuminating her face, and with starlight lighting her smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment