Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Grandparent's Weekend



Grandparent's Weekend
Being grandparents has such great advantages.  We can enjoy our granddaughters until we get tired and then we give them back.  That's the rule, right?  In practice, this doesn't always happen though.  This weekend, for example, our daughter  Dorie asked if we would watch the girls while she and our son-in-law Gregg spent the night at a lovely resort for her birthday.  No problem!  We could handle that.  Easy-peasy!
First of all I decided to take our almost 13 yr old granddaughter shopping.  I hadn't done this in a long time and thought that it would be a fun activity. I asked Skip if he would watch Lilly (our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter) while I took Julie to the mall. We got a late start which was largely due to the fact that I was making breakfasts, cleaning up, preparing for Easter, getting Lilly dressed and occupied, taking care of my mother,  and trying to keep things clean and neat.  By the time we left the house I was already tired.  Off we went to the throngs of people bustling about on a busy Saturday.  I asked Julie what stores she preferred and immediately realized that we would be visiting many different stores because Julie wasn't sure what she wanted and where she wanted to go.  I didn't want to rush her but I knew that we had only a limited time to shop before Skip would need relief.  I felt a little guilty leaving him behind to watch Mom and keep Lilly occupied.  I worried that he might be a bit overwhelmed with that responsibility.
When we got to the mall I had to make a quick decision where to go because I had no idea which stores might appeal to Julie.  I have to confess that  I have weaned myself from mall shopping and am not "up" on all of the latest trends among teens.  I do not set foot in the trendy stores.  So, as we walked into the first store I had the distinct feeling that I had somehow traveled to another planet--one filled with bright colors, loud music, sparkle on the floors and sweet smells of myriad perfumes.  Just in case I missed the labels on clothing, every single item was adorned with large print on sleeves, across the front and back with the name of the clothing line.  Every person under the age of 25 was a walking advertisement for a t-shirt or sweatshirt designer.  Furthermore they all seemed happy to pay anywhere from $60 to $200 to advertise who they were wearing.  My granddaughter was immediately drawn to one such shirt that looked like it was missing a good 10 inches off the bottom length.  Really...a sweatshirt that only covered the shoulders and part of the upper torso?  I guess no one would notice the missing fabric because the name of the singer who now had her own clothing line was so huge that was all one would see.  I began to look around to see how many labels we could combine in one outfit.  Could we combine labels to make sentences?  With wry wit I tried to play this game as Julie perused the racks.  I wondered if it was permissible to mix a sports figure label with a singer, or were we supposed to keep performing artists  together?  Could we mix two different sports figures?  Did we need to have continuity of names or could we combine themes?  I had so many questions. Unfortunately I couldn't hear the answers through the cacophony of loud music and heavy rhythms.   After five minutes I had already developed a headache.  I painted a smile on my face and muscled my way through the store trying to look totally cool while feeling like I had fallen through The Rabbit Hole.  I was too old for this.  In just a few short years I had become an  anachronism, a relic of bygone times.  Rather than admit I was feeling like an antique I waited until Julie went into the fitting room to text my daughter to ask if she approved of certain items of clothing that Julie insisted would be fine to wear.  Surprisingly, there was no need to do so because Julie had used her smart phone to take a photo of something she liked and sent it to her mother for approval.  Dorie already saw, responded, and okayed the purchase.  Hmmm...shopping had changed. Technology had become the new shopping tool.  Okay then!  I relaxed a bit knowing that the responsibility of making a decision of what Mom and Dad would allow was not on my shoulders. 
We moved on to another store and after what seemed like eight hours but was in reality only about a half an hour, we found a few other items and I even managed to talk Julie into a few things that didn't have printing on them.  I used a bribe of taking her out to a late lunch to get her to make her decisions quickly and to choose something with fewer graphics that she could wear in the restaurant.
With aching feet I limped my way out of the mall after being accosted by people in the center isles hawking their products, insisting that I try their creams, their manicure products, their hair extensions, their shampoos, candles, and fragrances...practically tripping me as I walked by.  My lips were pursed in a permanent "NO!"  My eyes were averted like I had learned to do when approaching panhandlers.  
At lunch  I texted Skip to check in with him.  He texted back that he was coloring 100 bunnies with Lilly.  I giggled at the mental image.  It was not as complete an image as the one that we beheld when we arrived back home.  Skip was surrounded by all sorts of toys and playthings.  He was sitting at the table with assorted crayons and a coloring book. As we walked in he proudly displayed a page of flowers that he and Lilly had just finished coloring.  When he turned towards me I noticed that his shirt boasted  an array of flower and princess stickers.  I walked into the family room to say "Hi" to my mother.  She was sitting quietly in her chair by the TV.  Her eyes were closed as she took a small nap.  Did she know that she too had been decorated with stickers? 
Both Skip and I had taken a step into our granddaughter's worlds. It had been  a day of adapting.   We had seen the polar opposites and both of us had been totally out of our element...our comfort zones. Fortunately we lived to tell the tale and still profess that grandparenting in one of the finest joys in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment