Monday, July 11, 2016

Sleepy Woes

 It was a gray morning, the kind of morning when one feels lazy. I intended to sleep late. The baby monitor chirped at us (it does that when it is out of range or when the monitor upstairs is moved).  I knew immediately what had happened.  In an instant I was fully awake.  I waited for the inevitable footsteps.  I didn't have to wait long.  My mother was 'on the prowl.'  When she gets out of bed, she often adjusts everything on her dressing table including the monitor, before heading for the bathroom.  I got out of bed and turned the monitor slightly East to become a more efficient receiver and to stop the chirping.

Ahhhhh.  SILENCE!

I slipped back between the sheets and closed my eyes hoping to get just an hour more of needed sleep.  My thoughts were already flipping and dashing to myriad subjects.  I willed my brain to be quiet.  I wished that I could will my bladder to do the same.  Unfortunately I had to use the bathroom and there was no getting back to sleep until I did so.

Okay.  Back to bed once more.

Clomp...clomp...clomp.  Mom's footsteps were magnified on the monitor as she walked back to her bed upstairs.  I opened one eye to look at the clock on the nightstand.  It was only 6:15.  I had at least 45 minutes left to sleep before feeling like a lazy sloth. My thoughts skipped around now.

'What did I have to do today?
Did I remember to close the door to the bathroom so our dog wouldn't use the toilet as her personal water dish?
Did I put the chicken away in the refrigerator after removing it from the freezer last night? Or...was the chicken now defrosted and presently at room temperature growing enough bacteria to kill off an entire continent?  Was I going to have to call a hazard removal team while arguing with Skip who would inevitably insist that the chicken would be fine once I cooked it?
I never got the confirmation of my internet order. 
My nail polish needed a touch up.
I forgot to check my voicemail yesterday. 
Did I remember to charge my phone?'

I was fully awake.  I knew that there would be no way I could go back to sleep.  My body complained as I arose once more.  I looked back longingly at the small indentation on the pillow that should have held my sleepy head.  I glared jealously at Skip as he snuffled slightly in sleepy response to sudden movement and then rolled over to claim the full bed and all the covers.   I shuffled down the hall to the kitchen.  I would start the coffee. I reached for my favorite mug.  MY MUG!  Where was it?  Then I remembered that we had forgotten to run the dishwasher last night.  Another mug would have to do.  I poured the coffee and felt the liquid jolt as I sipped from the wrong mug.  It didn't fit my hand.  Unhappily I settled into the sofa just before remembering that there was still laundry in the washer that needed to be transferred to the dryer.  Note to self:  invent a washer that goes through a dry cycle as well.  Why do they have to make two different machines?  Additional note to self: find someone to do my laundry and dishes and let me sit around drinking my coffee in peace!







No comments:

Post a Comment