Wednesday, July 20, 2016

"There's Someone Sleeping in My Bed!"

My mother is convinced that there are people sleeping in her bed when she is not up there.  We keep the door between our home and our apartment (that houses our son and also Mom's room on the other side) locked so that she will not wander up or (worse) down the stairs. Still, whenever our son opens that door to say "Hello" of "Good-bye" she shoots him an accusing look that says, "Who are you and why are you sleeping in my room?"

This evening it happened again.  As our son unlocked the door and greeted us I noticed my mother glaring in his direction.  As is the norm these days, she fluctuates between recognizing him and being confused as to who her grandson is.  This evening he was a stranger and he was clearly usurping her right to go upstairs to her room because he was occupying that space.  Why?  Because evidently he shared her room with her.  When I tried to correct her she remained firm on her opinion.

"You don't know!" she told me.  "I've seen him in my bed."
"Really?  When?"
Mom thought for a moment struggling to recall the incident.  "It was a while ago but he was sleeping in my bed!" she replied emphatically.
I tried not to laugh.  I reminded her that she is not in her room during the day and would never have seen her bed other than when we take her upstairs at her bedtime. "I can assure you, Mom, Bill has NEVER slept in your bed."

Mom remained unconvinced even when I explained that Bill lives on the other side of the apartment.  My husband Skip and I decided to take her upstairs a few minutes early to take her on a tour of  the apartment (both sides) to remind her of where Bill lived.  This was not the first time.  We had done it a week before with the same results.  She looked around like she was seeing it for the first time. Then she rolled her eyes and said, "Well I know that he was in my bed.  In fact, I've seen two people in my room," she added as she embellished her story with a certain indignant delight. She was so convincing that I felt like I should be chastising Bill for going into Grandma's room to take a nap. I also felt like I should be searching for the other 'stranger' who was obviously visiting Mom's room while our backs were turned..  Meanwhile we keep reminding ourselves that Alzheimer's disease causes hallucinations.  So...before we rush out to buy keyed locks to put on Mom's bedroom door, we will continue to indulge Mom's fantasies until we grow impatient and take her for the tour.  We will also hold our breaths and hope that she doesn't choose another route to handle this (perceived) intrusion in her boudoir by taking a stroll to the other side of the apartment and going to sleep in our son's bed!

YUP...it could happen!

1 comment:

  1. To protect his space sounds like it might be a good idea for Bill to put a sliding latch high up on the door to his bedroom where Pauline can't reach it. Think that is better than a locking door knob.

    ReplyDelete