Friday, July 22, 2016

The Piano Tuner (an excerpt from Fine Tuning My Life)



The tall elderly gentleman walked into the living room surveying its furnishings, eyes alighting on the reason he was here.  There was instant recognition and approval as he walked over to the piano and touched the fine wood cabinet.  He placed his black leather case on the floor and sat down on the bench. His long fingers stroked the keys lovingly. With theatrical gestures he turned to the piano keys, lifted his arms gracefully with elbows bent, wrists arched and fingers held just above the keys.  He paused as if he were choosing the right moment before beginning. He elevated his chin and then lowered it leaning into the piano as he struck a single chord. Then, as though he were performing for an unseen audience he inhaled dramatically and began playing.  My mother stood by and listened appreciatively as his fingers moved deftly across the keys executing progressions that evoked images of a concert pianist.  I recognized bits and pieces from a piano sonata from a record my parents played.  I was in awe of the man's ability.  He stopped playing and turned to my mother. They spoke quietly and then he reached for his bag.  My mother stepped back and regarded him a moment then quietly left the room.  I remained peering behind the door, my vantage point hidden from his view.  My mother whispered to me that I must be silent so as not to disturb.  I was a shy and curious child.  I would remain to observe what was happening without being seen. Even at that young age I knew that I was
 witnessing something unique, maybe magical.  I should remain a silent witness to the process.  I watched as he extracted his tools.  One metal object was particularly interesting. It was smooth and two-pronged.  I had never seen anything resembling it. There were other things too: a small hammer and some red felt strips.  He opened the top of the piano revealing the strings and felt hammers.  He bent over and began his work.  I couldn't see what he was doing and though I wanted to move closer I stayed where I was, hidden.

The man reached over, lifted the two pronged fork and tapped it.  There was a vibration that caused a tone.  I learned later that it was a tuning fork.  He cocked his head and concentrated on the tone.  Once again he bent over the internal parts of the piano moving quickly and expertly.  He played a single note and listened carefully.  He made adjustments and moved on.  He played notes over and over not satisfied until he heard what I could not hear.  His practiced ears caught the subtleties.  I was mesmerized by his training...his ability to hear the slightest variation in tone.  When he was finished he took a deep breath.  It was as though he had not breathed the entire time for fear that he would interrupt his work or inhibit his perception.  He put down his tools, sat back down on the bench playing arpeggios, then a quick classical offering that made me want to applaud his prowess. 

The man stood up, put his tools back in the black case and gave a satisfied smile.  He looked over at me as if he had known I had been there the whole time.  He winked at me surprising me with his acknowledgement.  I was embarrassed and blushed deeply.  My mother came up behind me and told the man my name.  She told him that one day she
would teach me to play the piano but I was still too young.  He nodded approvingly.  Then my mother paid the man and showed him to the door.  Our piano was tuned.  I had not even noticed that it had needed tuning.  I asked my mother about it later.  She told me that even though we might not be aware that the piano was out of tune the piano tuner had come to perform a 'fine tuning'.  I asked her about the tuning fork and she told me how it worked.  I thought that it was something very special.  For weeks I imagined owning a tuning fork and using it to observe the slight variations of sounds.

This is how I would later view my actions in life.  I would do something and then observe the effects.  I would sometimes have to modify--to 'tune' my behavior, reaction, mood, or emotion. It was my imaginary tuning fork that provided the guidance to tune the strings of my life--the stings that held the days and years together with the vibration and acceptable variations that made beautiful music and provided a harmonious environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment