Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Blank Screens and Striptease Sundays


 https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4137/5443276228_40f781e681_b.jpg
 Mom has supplied me with enough material to fill a book this past week.  Late stages Alzheimer's provides us with quite a challenge, lots of mess, plenty of difficult moments, and more and more that we can shake our heads at. I am finding that every day she has at least one outburst, stubborn, or agitated moment.  She ignores, plays deaf, scrambles her words and thoughts, misunderstands, does something unprecedented, does something unsafe, and throws the house into turmoil.  She's just one little old lady but my oh my can she create drama! 

So...this week when I was mentally and physically exhausted and wanted her to go to bed I announced cheerfully, "It's bedtime, Mom.  Are you ready to go to bed?"  (I shouldn't have asked.)
Mom's answer was a definite, "NO!"

"No?" I replied a bit dumbfounded.  "Aren't you sleepy?  I thought that you wanted to go to sleep."
Mom didn't reply.  She turned to watch TV.  Evidently there was a commercial on that held far more interest than human interaction.
"Mom?  Can you answer me please?"

Mom continued to stare at the television even leaning forward to feign far more interest than usual.  (Now, I must take a moment to clarify that Mom never follows anything that is on TV.  She watches but doesn't know what she is watching and has no comments about anything that is on.  If I ask about something like, 'Did you see that cute dog?' she stares without comment and if I continue to ask, she tells me that she wasn't watching.) So, I knew that the TV was not something that was distracting her with a riveting message.  "MOM!  Pay attention to me!" I insisted.  "Did you hear me?"
(No answer.  Not even a twitch.)
I could feel the impatience welling up inside.
"Mom!  MOM!  MOM!  M-O-M!!!!"
Still nothing.
I tapped her on the arm.  "Mom can you hear me?"

"I don't want to go to bed," she answered.  

(AHA!  She did hear me!  Now I knew for a fact that she was simply choosing to ignore me.) "Turn the TV off," I told Skip.  Then I stepped in front of my mother and lectured her like she was a small child.  "You're being rude. When people talk to you, you should answer."   
Mom looked past me to the blank TV screen and remained silent.  I sighed deeply and sat down relishing the quiet in the room with the TV turned off.  "Okay, we'll just sit here then.  I went back to my laptop where I was editing something and Skip went back to his laptop to read a news article.  The fan overhead continued to click as the blades circled around and around rather like a clock...'tick, tick, tick, tick.'  It was making me sleepy.  Minutes passed and I looked up to see my mother staring blankly at the TV.  I couldn't help myself...
"How's that show you're watching?" I asked.

"It's okay," she answered without enthusiasm
.
"What's it about?"

"Oh.  I don't know yet,  I just sat down."

"Well let me know if it's good," I continued cheerfully. She leaned forward as if to see the screen better.  I waited ten more minutes enduring the frustration of watching my mother stare at a blank screen until I finally had enough and got up, took Mom by the hands and led her to her room.  "You're going to bed now," I told her kindly but firmly.  Mom followed like a dutiful child.

Fast forward to Sunday when the weather was warmer but not as hot as last week . That's when I had  the unfortunate encounter with Mom (when I tried to bring her inside from the screened porch because she was frying her brains out there. )  She had a tantrum and lashed out at me yelling that she wasn't hot.  Well, this week and particularly Sunday when it was at least 8 degrees cooler, I looked up from my seat in the family room where I can keep an eye on Mom just outside the window.  I noticed her moving around in her chair. I thought that maybe she was getting ready to come back inside.  Skip was sitting across from me and blocking a complete view so I asked if he could see what she was doing. 

"Oh no!  She taken her blouse off!" He announced with a groan.

I too groaned audibly.  Needing to save my work on my laptop, I put off going outside for a minute.  Meanwhile Skip decided that he needed to be anywhere but where he was and made a quick retreat to his office.  By the time I stood up Mom was bending over and wriggling about.  I rushed to the door in time to catch her taking her pants off and about to remove  her bra.  "STOP!"  I told her.  "What are you doing?!"

"It's too hot!" Mom complained pulling at her bra.  

"Nope...no...nun uh.  These stay on!"  I began to put her pants back on and Mom threw a fit.  

"It's too hot!  Stop it!!!"

I strong-armed her back into her clothes and took her inside explaining fruitlessly that one doesn't take one's clothes off in public.  (In fact, with the new construction going on next door to us if it had been a weekday Mom would have caused some poor workman to have nightmares.) 
When Mom walked back inside I could detect the familiar smell of wet diapers and told her to go to the bathroom.  

"I don't have to."

Hmm.  I guess I had to agree that the horse was already out of the barn so to speak.  I looked away for a moment and Mom sat down on Skip's chair.  "Don't sit there!" I yelled as I turned back.

"Why not?" 

"Because you're wet and smelly," I mumbled.  I knew that she couldn't hear me and that made it okay to verbalize.  While she waited for an answer I did what I try not to do.  I let my inner child out deciding  to give her a taste of her own medicine.  I turned away from her and averted my gaze. I acted like I never heard her question.  She stood there waiting for me to answer but stubbornly I refused.  Then I noticed that there was a TV commercial  on.  "Yep," I told myself. "Two can play this game."  I walked over to the TV and stood there totally engrossed in a toilet bowl cleanser commercial because, well, you know...it was just so very interesting!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment